About Me

My photo
Hello everyone! My name is Adrienne and this is my fourth year here at Fairmont State University. I've recently finished pre-med and now I'm working on my secondary ed degree with concentrations in general science, chemistry and biology. I'm really into outdoor activities, especially whitewater kayaking, hiking and skiing. I love music, some of my favorite artists are Zach de La Rocha, Bob Marley, Robert Plant, Eddie Veder, Chris Cornell, Jim Morrison and Janis Joplin.

Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Lesson Plan Day 1

My lesson plan will be covering the alkali metals (the elements in the first period of the periodic table). To help introduce the topic, I will show some of these elements' unique features, just take a look below.

Here is a video demonstrating how potassium reacts in water that I would show my students as part of the exploration: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OFG4Yr7lQzw

Here is another video demonstrating how lithium reacts in water:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oxhW7TtXIAM

I'm then going to use the Intel website to create a shuffle so that students can line up the elements with their correlating properties. They will split into groups (at least two so that they can compare) and organize the elements on a basis of electronegativity, ionization energy, and atomic radius. These are common trends for groups of the period table that are a necessary part of the curriculum.
To view the Intel ranking games, go to this website:
https://ssl.intel.com/EducationUser/student/login.aspx?&LID=en
and sign in as Instructor: ariggi2187, Team: Team 1, and password is numberone.

My lesson plan that outlines the class discussion, class activity, and take home assignment is included in the enclosure link for this post.

NSET T: I covered standards (1.) and (2.) with this lesson plan because I used the Intel activity to engage and assess them, and I used the youtube video to promote their interest and learning.

No comments:

Post a Comment